Welcome to Catholic Schoolhouse
Catholic Schoolhouse is designed to help homeschool families enrich their educational experience through a flexible approach to learning inspired by classical elements, presented in a structured environment. Children study the same topics in the grammar program, delving deeper into the material as they grow older. The whole family has a place at Catholic Schoolhouse. Dialectic students have opportunities for discussion, logic development, and speaking, while staying focused on the fine arts and history time periods of the tour guide to facilitate family cohesiveness. Catholic Schoolhouse is more than a day out of the house; it can help bring structure and cohesiveness to your entire homeschool experience and will bless your family.
The Rapid City Chapter offers the following classes for the 2021-2022 school year:
- History studies will cover Creation -1400’s.
- Geography will consist of a basic review, then move into a study of Europe and Asia.
- Latin introduces conjugations and declensions, as well as future and imperfect tense endings.
- Science focus will be divided into four quarters of study; Botany, Chemistry, Astronomy, Sound and Light.
- Religion will focus on the Mass, Bread of Life Discourse, A Child’s Wish, Liturgical Objects, and the Sacraments.
- Ancient Art will cover Egyptian art, Greek art, Roman art, Early Christian art and icons, and Medieval art. We will also study artwork of the Proto-Renaissance period.
- Music studies will offer learning the basics of playing the recorder as well as studying ancient percussion instruments, string instruments, monophonic and polyphonic chant, and brass instruments.
The Grammar Level classes include Memory Work in eight different subjects areas (history, science, Latin, geography, fine arts, religion, math and language arts) along with oral presentations and hands on art and science. Dialectic will also incorporate literature seminar into their day with Socratic discussions.